All Things Andrea

All Things Andrea

Sunday, March 17, 2013

30's Pink

 
I was having a terrible time finding the right shade of pink to go with the yo yo's I'd been stitching out of 30's fabrics for a yo-yo block quilt I've been working on.  I would see a shade of fabric that would look fine in the store, but after I'd have a bunch of yo yo's made, I'd realize something wasn't quite right.
 
It wasn't until I compared the pink fabric yardage to some vintage yo yo blocks that I had picked up at the antique shop three years ago...
 
 
... that I realized how off the pink was.  I was needing more of a salmon pink instead of the candy pink that I had started with,

 
but where in the world was I supposed to find it??!!  I had searched every fabric store in Lancaster County and looked on line, but nothing was quite right.  And, I had bought 5 yards of the wrong shade of pink and/or salmon for the 3rd time now!  (Anyone need some pink fabric??!)
 
But, I finally discovered a bolt of older fabric tucked in behind the current fabrics at a quilt shop in Intercourse that was the perfect shade - yea!!  The price was dirt cheap; in fact, the clerk asked me, "Where did you find this bolt of fabric?".  It was almost if the bolt was hiding out, waiting for me to discover it for this specific project!
 
 
There was barely enough fabric on the bolt; in fact, I had to piece some of it,  

 
just to be able to cut out all 324 circles of the pink fabric for my project. 
 
 
Luckily the seam isn't too obvious, so I think I'm finally on my way!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment