All Things Andrea

All Things Andrea

Friday, February 11, 2011

Cooking Neck Pumpkins


I had purchased this neck pumpkin late last fall for a song, but never got around to cooking it off until now.  I figured I had better get to it before it passed its peak!


I had never cooked a pumpkin before, so had to do a bit of research before attempting it. I'm happy to report that it was much easier than I anticipated! 

Here's the How-To:
Simply cut the pumpkin in half and scoop out the seeds.  Then, place the pumpkin halves face down on a rimmed baking sheet, adding some water to the pan to help keep the pumpkin flesh moist.  Bake at 450" until you can piece the skin with a fork (about 45 - 60 minutes).


Then, scoop out the flesh out of the shell and puree in a blender.
(My Vitamix has an extra-large jar which worked great for this.  I froze the puree in 2 c. quantities so that it's ready to use any time I need canned pumpkin for a recipe in the future.)

P.S.  Don't toss the pumpkin seeds - be sure to toast them so you can not only enjoy a tasty snack, but benefit from the nutrients as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment