All Things Andrea

All Things Andrea

Friday, March 5, 2010

Rescued



I found these adorable yo-yo blocks at an antique shop in Hershey. I had seen them a few months ago, and was so drawn to them, but just couldn’t justify spending money on them. Yet, they kept haunting me…. I kept thinking of the dear woman who had made them and felt sad that no one in her family wanted them. Then, a friend stopped in at the same shop over the weekend and saw them; she encouraged me to give them a good home. I went back and bought them; they look so happy to be in my house! The colors are perfect in the kitchen and laundry room, and they look wonderful with my Franciscan Dessert Rose dishes (an old pattern from the 40's - a number of my family members have that pattern because we have fond memories of eating off those dishes at my great aunt's). Now, to figure out how to use them...   There are 13 blocks and 2 different color arrangements; I'm not sure what the owner had in mind.  Were there more blocks originally, and did they get split up??  Was she planning on stitching some more?  I’m not sure yet what I want to do with them (create a spread, turn some into pillows?), but for now I’m content to enjoy them just as they are.

Update, 7/10/10 - my nephew spotted the blocks and started playing with them.  In no time he came up with this layout - I would never have thought of it on my own!

No comments:

Post a Comment